Colorado STEM & STEM Champions
Colorado STEM is a coalition of highly engaged business, education, and civic leaders in support of high-quality science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education and experiences for all students. Since its founding in 2014, Colorado STEM has successfully built a diverse coalition of stakeholders across the state to significantly expand STEM opportunities across the state. Colorado Succeeds is the backbone organization of the coalition. Click here to read about Colorado STEM’s 2017 accomplishments.
STEM CHAMPIONS: Industry leaders who commit their time, talent, and resources, as well as state agencies, industry associations, nonprofit organizations, and public schools/districts who advocate for high-quality programs and support implementation. STEM Champions are change agents for how school and industry work together to ensure all students have access to high quality STEM education and experiences that will prepare them for success in their future. Interested in becoming a STEM Champion? Contact Ashley Andersen.
MISSION & VISION: All Colorado learners have the STEM education and experiences needed to succeed in the innovation economy.
- Align the state’s education system with workforce demands through high-quality STEM education and experiences;
- Expand high-quality STEM education and experiences for all students, with a particular focus on students who are underrepresented in STEM fields; and,
- Create more opportunities for all students to gain STEM literacy, skills, and competencies that are highly demanded by Colorado’s economy and highly-skilled labor market
THEORY OF CHANGE: When more students have access to opportunities, awareness, demand, and participation increases, along with the acquisition of skills and competencies needed to be prepared for post-secondary and career. The ultimate impact achieved is a more prepared talented pipeline that meets the demands of a highly skilled STEM-driven workforce.
Colorado STEM Programs
Colorado Succeeds collaborates with employers and educators to ensure all students benefit form high-quality educational experiences. There are six ways you can help create and expand these opportunities for all students of Colorado in 2018. If you would like to get involved or learn more, contact Ashley Andersen.
STEM Support for Students
- STEM Capstones: Advise educators developing STEM Capstone projects for high school students, aligned with real world problems to demonstrate the skills needed to be career ready.
- STEM Mentoring: Provide perspective, advice, and hands-on assistance to create a new statewide STEM mentorship pilot program.
STEM Support for Educators
- STEM & Innovation Coaching: Provide business perspective to educators looking to teach innovation and offer relevant STEM learning opportunities.
- STEM Externships: Provide workplace experience to an educator, giving them insights and perspective to take back to the classroom.
STEM Support for Industry
- STEM Tool-Kits & How-To Guides: Develop toolkits and how-to guides for businesses to partner with schools to offer work-based learning experiences to students and teachers.
- STEM Investors Roundtable: Convene corporate and philanthropic leaders to identify and coalesce around a single strategy for advancing STEM.
Colorado STEM in Action
Thanks to strong public-private partnerships, innovative pilot programs, and empowered educators, Colorado has made tremendous progress expanding STEM education opportunities. Here is how two school districts, one rural and one suburban, are creating STEM experiences that work for their unique school community.
Salida School District: Through close collaboration with local businesses and the area community college, students in Salida are building housing for local educators, all while gaining real-world skills and industry-recognized credentials. Watch our video on this inspiring program: ColoradoSucceeds.org/Salida
Adams 12 Five Star Schools: Two teachers from Adams 12 applied for and won The Succeeds Prize 2017 Innovation Award. They used this $15,000 award to build a STEM Family MakerSpace and expose their entire school community to technology and engineering. Learn more: ColoradoSucceeds.org/Markerspace
Thank You Colorado STEM Champions
To join our coalition of companies dedicated to expanding and improving STEM in Colorado, contact Ashley Andersen.